Friday, June 17, 2005

Edgar

We have a family of bunny rabbits living under our patio bushes.

We discovered a baby bunny the other day...well, actually, Nellie and Newt discovered him first.

Whenever the bunny shows up on the patio, our cats' ears go low, their gaze turns into laser beam concentration, and they crouch down as low as they can go.

I got worried when I saw Nellie take this position because it was exactly what happened right before the great 'Pee-Off and Fight' the cats had a couple of days before we left for Rome. We had to separate them for 1.5 days. Something startled Newt and he associated the fear and anxiousness with Nellie and began attacking her.

So here was Nellie, crouching low like a fat tiger, ears back, eyes not breaking from her focus no matter how much noise I tried to make to distract her. I decide to find out what has captured her audience. I was afraid of what I would see. Newt's friend the skunk? A giant racoon? Or even worse, a rat or possum! Argh!

I slowly parted a layer of our verticle blinds and followed Nellie's eyes onto the patio concrete. A bunny! Phew!

He was very small and very cute, looked cute enough to bring into the house and raise myself if I wasn't afraid of wild animals (yes, even the ones that live in our subdivision are considered wild to me). But of all the 'guests' we've had around or on our patio, this one was the most welcomed.

Once Edgar discovered he was being eyed by two cats and a human from behind the glass door, he scurried back under the bushes, his cute tail bounding off out of sight.

I hope to see him again soon. Maybe I'll leave a carrot out for them....hmmm, wonder what kinds of bugs that would attract...maybe I won't.

2 comments:

EJ said...

Nice name for the bunny. I had one for only a weekend and his name was "thumper". Yes I was a child and thought only of bambi.

QueenWanydala said...

OOOOhhhh! How cute! Just yesterday, Chloe chased a rabbit into the corner of our fence! She was literally 10 inches away from it, but those rabbits are quick and agile! It was like watching football. Chloe's so slow! But I'm glad she didn't catch it. I don't want a dead rabbit on my hands. They're too cute.