Thursday, July 28, 2005

Ground Control

I am not sure if I should cry or jump out onto what used to be a nice landscaped patio and start digging up the ground.

This summer, we have noticed quite a bit of weeds and other uninvited plants around our patio and front walk area. We've had wild daisies, and some other plant/weed that seems to sprout tall with tiny little white blossoms. Growing on top of the mulch under our once beautiful light green shrub is a round leafed annoyance which I will call the ugly red headed step kids of the lettuce family.

This season in particular, Alex and I have been more diligent in pulling out the daisies and the cluster of white blossoms whenever we've seen them. The daisies are no more. They have not returned since we pulled them a couple of months ago. However, the tall plant with the tiny white blossoms and the round leafed 'lettuce' thing continues to come back in other places, and, I noticed today we have a medium sized cluster of what looks like clovers with dark pink/purple flowers at the top. It is maybe six inches tall from the mulch.

But wait, it gets worse! I found what appears to be an underground entrance on one side of the front walk. It is about 2-3 inches in diameter. I fear the worst. The cats and I have seen a small chipmunk sized creature on our patio from time to time. Could they be burrowing under our front walk? Could that explain why all of a sudden we've seen a variety of unintended plants around our shrubs and bushes?

It's WAR! Our borders will be patrolled at ANY cost! And our condo association will hear about the 'chipmunks'.

In the meantime, anyone out there have any helpful advise/cures for my woes???

2 comments:

jon said...

You can't win the weed war. I simply spray paint the weeds bright colors and tell every one that they're exotic plants.

slacker said...

I was pulling out weeds on our front lawn. Elderly man walking by said "There's no point. You can pull it out all you want but did you see that big field over there full of weeds? How about your neighbors? You can't win."