Monday, September 19, 2005

When Clinton was President

I'm pretty bad when it comes to things I should do and make good practice of as to prevent further injury or suffering to myself and others.

Eye exams are one of them.

The last time I had an eye exam, Clinton was President and a show called "Melrose Place" was all the rage. Sadness (the show, I mean)!

I'm lazy, I admit it. Instead of wearing the glasses I was prescribed those many years ago, I opted to squint, neck extended, mouth slightly open in that dumb "who's doin' what now?" look, attempting to read a road sign as two cars jam on their breaks to avoid impact as I'd unwittingly drove through a red light.

Well, now my job requires me to read very small, very fine print on a daily basis (one marketing gibberish after another - sigh) and it has taken a toll on my eyes. I guess I first recognized a problem while reading the last Harry Potter book. My eyes felt like they were going to cross. Even as I lay in bed at night to go to bed, I could feel my eyes trying to cross.

Two weeks ago, while I was at home, watching TV from my couch, which has always been a more than comfortable distance for me, I felt a 'zinging' sensation between my forehead. I thought it may have been from lack of sleep, so I took at nap. The problem didn't go away. All of a sudden, I could no longer follow the characters moving across the screen from left to right without that zinging sensation happening again, and now, I had a slight headache.

I ponder about why this is happening (I'm not that brite) and after a few minutes, I decide to put on my glasses (I'm cursing the marketing gibberish I've been auditing under my breath). Ta-Da!

Of course, it wasn't a 20/20 kind of view even with the glasses. The lenses are scratched up, and seeing better doesn't mean seeing well.

I have an eye exam tonight. I may come back with bi-focals....pray for me....

UPDATE:
My vision is crap. Even as I am typing this I can 'just' make out the letters on teh screen. Sigh. My left eye seems to be the problem. I've been asked to come back two months from now as a follow up for my left eye.

Let's put it this way...if my right eye could see 10 feet ahead of me without the aid of glasses, my left eye could see half that and 'just' be able to make out letters.

I have not picked out my new frames. I still need to some shopping around. Might be fun to do during lunch tomorrow! Hehehe.

2 comments:

EJ said...

Sight is an amazing thing. It's amazing you've been alright to drive around....but then you did get lost coming home once...could it be your vision?

QueenWanydala said...

forget the drugs! just take the plunge and start trying right away! ha ha...
and with my track record, there is no guarantee i'll get pregnant right away or carry through the first trimester.
and what's with this "word verification" sign-in business?