Thursday, December 15, 2005

Narnia

I had such expectations for this film - I'd heard such good things about this film - could it be the next Harry Potter? Would it surpass Harry Potter? Oh, such delicious anticipation!

What a downer! Alex and I went to go see this film - actually paid $9.50 for tix to seet his film. I should have waited till it came out on DVD.

It was not at all what I'd expected. The story line felt forced, rushed, and choppy, and the actors were 'stiff' at best. Best part of the film? The animals and the White Witch. They were fortunately delightful to watch on film as they seemed three dimensional, unlike the lion, Peter, and Susan.

I've been told many times how these tales were childhood favorites for many people. From seeing the film only, I cannot imagine how and why. I will need/like to read the book. I'm sure I will completely understand how these tales became a part of childhood through the books.

As for any threats in surpassing Harry Potter - film wise, no contest! Harry Potter is much more a layered and interesting film than Narnia.

With different direction, screen writing,and editing, it could have been something wonderful!

1 comment:

jon said...

You saw Narnia? There's this other blogger I know, who just saw it too! she goes by the name "Queen something or other". It's too bad you couldn't have hooked up with her and seen it together.