Thursday, May 15, 2008

Forgetful Jones

Wow, can I just say that I almost created the worst kind of drama for myself today? It was a mistake of such grandness and idiocy that if I were Alex I would have sent me straight to to the 'Dumbest Person Alive' hall of fame.

I'm not sure if the mistake happened because I've got water on the brain or just because I felt so flustered and out of control yesterday. All I know is that I've reached an all time level of short attention/memory span.

We had new flooring put in last night. The house as you can imagine was in disarray - in fact, it still needs finishing up.

We'd hoped by the time Alex had picked up Jack from daycare and returned home the flooring guys would be done. This was not the case. They were still working on our bedroom when Alex came home with the Fudge.

Not wanting any injuries and needless interference, I took Jack over to my sister's house while the guys finished up the bedroom.

The minute I drove into Wany's driveway I realized I had not brought Jack's diaper bag. I panic. I am angry. Why can't Alex remember everything FOR me? Jeez!

But the diaper bag wasn't the mistake I post about. The missing diaper bag is nothing compared to what I did when Jack and I returned home.

Per usual, Jack fell asleep in the car on the ride home. When I drove up to the driveway, he was sound asleep, so I decided to try my best to transport him from the car to his crib as quietly as possible.

It didn't work. As soon as I opened his side of the car door he opened his eyes and was more than half awake. Despite his alertness, I grabbed him quickly from the car seat and carried him into the house.

As soon as Jack saw the transformation of the house he didn't even remember he was asleep just a few minutes ago. He wanted to explore and quite frankly, so did I. I checked out the finished bedroom and kitchen and inside the closets.

Now if you've been keeping up with Jack's blog, you know that I have recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Primarily, this means I get to eat meat and veggies only for the remainder of my pregnancy - no sweets what so ever. And I also have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day, once in the morning before I eat, and 2 hours after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I could not locate my blood sugar tester this morning. Then I remembered it was in my purse. Where the heck was my purse? Oh, I left it in the car...the unlocked car...THE CAR I LEFT RUNNING SINCE LAST NIGHT! (place Psycho theme here)

Alex quickly ran out to the car. The gas had run out (I had less than a quarter of a tank left when I got home the night before) and the battery had died. Alex said it was making a funny clicking noise. Alex also said other things which made me afraid I had killed the car.

What had I done? Woe is me! Was I insane? How could I have forgotten the car the was left on?! What kind of idiot leaves the car on, unlocked with her purse inside it? Someone could have stolen the purse, the car, come into the house and burglarized us if they wanted to! I could have killed the car and Jack and Ben would have to ride in a red wagon while mom or dad pushed to daycare instead of being comfortably seated in the minivan, buckled up nice and safe.

Even Jack looked at me with eyes that clearly asked, "what in the world were you thinking, Mom? How could you forget? Even I know you turn the car off when you're not using it." Then he took another spoonful of his oatmeal.

Fortunately, with a little gas and a jump from the Avalon, the van was back to normal and running well.

I had to have Alex repeat at least 4 times what I was supposed to do after her left for work...."leave it running for 20-25 minutes....then turn the car off and on again. If that works, take the car to a gas station and fill up....then take it for a short trip somewhere to keep it running."

I would not have been as calm or gracious as Alex was to me. I would have bitten his head off after screaming all sorts of profanities at him. But I guess that is why I'm married to him...to remind me every so often that even the 'better' half (as I'd like to think of myslef) makes terrible mistakes.

1 comment:

Granny Annie said...

I still say that sounds EXACTLY like something I would do! Are you SURE we are not blood related???