Monday, October 31, 2005

The Annoying One-Upper

In everyone's professional life, there is that one person whom all other co-worker's are measured against, whether that is good or bad.

In this case, I can't really call it a good or bad co-worker, but more the annoying co-worker. And I think those who are annoying are the worst of them all. I can handle a mean, cranky, deliriously grouchy monkey of a person....you just avoid this person and for the most part, this person will avoid you too.

However, the annoying person is someone whom you cannot escape...you will have to hear every one of their innane comments, stories, opinions...etc. on every single subject they deem important.

For instance - I am not a collector of furniture made out of wicker. This doesn't stop the annoying co-worker from bringing in pictures of he 'antique' wicker plant holder/furniture to show me. There are many problems with this....

1) There is no such thing as 'antique' wicker - they are either old or new...IT'S WICKER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
2) Wicker is not REAL furniture
3) Plant holders are NOT furniture
4) I made myself clear to this co-worker I know nothing, have no interest, and do not know anyone who would pay real money to buy what she considered 'antique' wicker furniture/plant holder.

This co-worker also insists on discussing her views/ideas/beliefs related to homeopathic cures for common colds, headaches, sleepiness...etc.

I take an advil when I have a headache. But I do not push or advertise or rant on my soap box my preference(s) in ridding myself of headaches.

Also, I can never just make a comment about ANYTHING without having to endure her life time experience on whatever the subject matter happens to be at that time - what ever it is that I've had, she's had worse. If I found a great sale on something, she's done better! This Annoying co-worker has now turned into the 'One-Upper'....you know who they are.....they've always got a story 10 times more horrific, fantastic, mystic, or just plain better than the one you've just shared with people (even if the One-Upper wasn't the intended listener to your stories). If you had a niece/nephew who caught a strange or terrible cold, they've seen worse, and they proceed to tell you FROM THE BEGINNING on how that illness came about for themselves or their kids/niece/nephew. Argh!

There are many shared moments between my boss and I where we are looking at each other with the equal amount of pain and pure exhaustion from having listened to this person's rant all day on just about everything under the sun.

Today, I finally pulled my CD holder out of my car to bring up to my desk...so I can attempt to drown out what I don't want or need to hear.

3 comments:

QueenWanydala said...

I know exactly what you mean and I know someone who is even worse! Ha ha...just kidding.

slacker said...

I sit nearby sales people... There can be no worse people to sit next to than sales people. Apparently they don't understand that your cube + no door != your office + door closed.

mandy bananajam said...

I would love to repost this on my blog, "There's always one"!!! Would that be okay, with a link back to your blog? This was a great story!

http://alwaysoneblog.blogspot.com