Wednesday, October 19, 2005

At the End of the Universe is a Place....



Work has been quite stressful lately, so to get my bearings back and release some stress, I went to the one place I knew I'd be understood, welcomed, and encouraged to be myself...I went to the mall.

I had always found peace there, a kind of spiritual reward as I took in the first breath of recirculated mall air. Memories are indeed connected to sense of smell.

Shoes, purses, Starbuck's, J.Crew, Ann Taylor, the Field's cosmetic's counter, and last but not least, Sephora, oh my!

I had not been to the mall, shopping for myself, in what seemed like ages! It was good to be back, by myself, without having to consider stores someone else wanted to venture to, without having to watch how much time I spent in one store, over one area, over one pair of jeans...etc. It was just me...imagine what a 6 year old would feel at Disney World, having the park mostly to herself (the mall was not at all crowded) and multiply that by a 100 times...that was me!

"I'm BACK!" I thought and immediately headed to my favorite stores. This is where things get depressing. The Gap must be pandering to 10 year olds. EVERYTHING was 'Ultra Low Rise'. What?!?! Why bother wearing pants at all if you're gonna wear it THAT low!? I picked up some sweaters that initially looked cute when nicely folded and stacked on the display tables...but when I reached out for a size 'L' and unfolded the sweater...OMG, it could not have been more than an 'M' at best. I moved onto the jeans...the Gap always has good, affordable jeans that fit me. Not today.

They've changed their jeans! Instead of the gazillion style of Gap jeans I'm used to (low rise, boot cut, reverse fit, original, slim fit...etc), they now only have 3 types of jeans. Curvy. Original. Straight.

Curvy - these are for normal women who actually HAVE hips. I do not.
Original - these might as well be called the 'mom' jeans. I'm not into super low rise jeans or anything, but these buttons came up over the belly button!
Straight - Ultra Low Rise...enough said.

I stopped in at J.Crew, tried on four pants...Ultra Low Rise...funny, they didn't seem so low hanging on the rack.

On my way out, I spotted two teenage girls walking side by side, both on their cell phones, toting Express shopping bags, wearing the ultra low rise jeans which showed off their tight abs which were barely covered by what seemed like half sized hoodies they wore as a shirt. Also they were wearing way too much make-up...is blue eye shadow and sparkle lip gloss back? Gak!!!

I stopped in at Sephora...I always find something there! I love lingering by the perfume area and test everything (on the test strips of course)! Bulgari, Kenzo, Gucci, Versace, Dolce & Gabana, and a curious scent from Stella McCartney...which I decided I liked, but was way too expensive, would rather buy something for the house instead, like groceries, and...WAIT A MINUTE! Oh my gosh, was that like a mature thought?

I realized something....not only could you take the girl out of the mall...but you COULD ALSO take the mall out of the girl! All signs pointed to...the place at the end of the Universe!

I left the mall with only one purchase...grey herring bone dress pants for work. Ack!!!

1 comment:

QueenWanydala said...

I just realized Newt sitting in the window! So funny.