Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"?"

I like direct questions and direct answers.

"What do you want to do for dinner?"
Direct answers - "I don't know." or "let's grill chicken."
Indirect answer - "Well we had chicken the other night and I didn't really like it and I don't want to do pizza again cause we had it for lunch at work today....."

"What time is it?"
Direct answers - "5:15pm" or "It's time to go!"
Indirect answer - "What do you mean what time is it? For what?"

"Where are you?"
Direct answers - "About half an hour from home." or "I just passed the toll booth."
Indirect answer - "I would be almost home already except there was this accident on the expressway...."

It's communication style differences I guess. I like to get the What, When, Where, Why, Who, and How first before adding to the subject. People generally like to get to those things first as it quickly sets a scenario/ picture/ or mind set of what is being asked/discussed/shared. Anything beyond the facts just adds layers.

There's nothing wrong with adding layers, whether it is interesting or not, just as long as the core of the information is addressed first.

This has been a public service announcement. Thank you.


No comments: