Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Secret Sale

So after years and years of turning my nose up at the notion of early workouts, I actually tried it this morning. I had a hair appointment at 10am today anyway, so I'd set the alarm so I could wake up in time (especially on a Saturday) and not scurry around in the mornings like I usually do.

I opened my eyes at 8:30am, promptly got dressed, put on my running shoes and stepped out my front door.

I was suspicious. Would I have the energy so early in the morning to even walk down the block? What kind of silliness had I subjected myself to..getting up early for no reason other than to put my body through pain...I had my doubts.

Surprisingly, I did finish walking to the end of my block. What was more surprising was that my feet automatically started jogging when I'd hit the next block. "Well, it's a start..." I thought. At least I'd gotten my lazy butt out of the house, through the block and now my feet were jogging. Not bad. If I'd stopped there I would have been happy, it would have been an accomplishment.

I kept jogging. At first it started a slow, groggy, 'just gotten out of the house' pace...then I felt myself picking up the pace. I began to look about me...across the street, at the new homes going up arond our neighborhood, up into the bright blue sky...this is what I do when I'm jogging and enjoying myself...I begin to take in the scenery around me, breathe deeply, and think about what I was going to do the rest of the day.

I was tired when I finished a mile. My mouth felt parched, and my lips felt papery. But I'd finished, just as I said I would. I felt proud and stepped back inside the house. I was done with the run for the day. I didn't have to think about it any more. I realised this is what early riser joggers probably look forward to...getting the run out of the way.

There were other pleasant side effects, like having more energy, I could feel myself more alert and my mood changed from sedation to achievment! I could really do this! I really could do this! It was all just a matter of DOING...I could do this any old time I wanted. I felt I'd discovered a secret...a benefit not too many others would discover...like finding that perfect 6 1/2 wide BCBG, pointed toe, kitten heel, sexy shoes...on sale! It was awesome!

1 comment:

EJ said...

Sounds like a wonderful and peaceful run in the morning. Keep moving!!!