Monday, April 04, 2005

'THAT' Couple

The big day is less than a month away...I think three weeks or something like that....Alex and I still have things to finish...like wedding favors and how we want to package them, the salt unity ceremony details, and of course, the program, then there was the task of getting the alter pieces vases, the center piece planters..etc. We decided that the past weekend was going to be the weekend to cram all of the above into our schedule.

Our first stop Saturday afternoon was the Container store where we argued over whether we should use a chinese food box or a regular square box to house our favors...then about what we were going to use as favors (edible or non-edible). We started speaking in the "I'm not going to sound angry in public" tone. I don't know why we even bothered using this fake tone since it never fools anyone into thinking you're not arguing. I've been the witness to this tone being used by other couples and I always know they are arguing. Another couple standing in the same aisle with us looked over every once in a while...I'm sure Alex and I served as amusement for them as well as for anyone within ear shot of our 'conversation'. Two stores and 30 minutes later, we sheepishly smiled, and apologized to one another for such infantile behavior.

I began to think...are we going to be 'THAT' couple? You know, the couple who are always bickering in public? Will we embarrass our family, friends and children in public by our public bickering? Then I thought about another couple. The 'Silent' couple. You've all seen this couple...sitting at a restaurant, 'sharing' dinner, chewing their meal methodically, staring past each other into unimportant spaces beyond, wiping their mouths every third bite, blank expressions, their water glasses filled frequently because they choose to gulp water every 2nd bite instead of talking to each other....how lonley and unrelentingly empty they looked.

I choose bickering and making amends.

1 comment:

EJ said...

It's better than the couple who can't stay away from each other for a single minute in which I wonder if there are co-dependency issues.

Just think, you're at least communicating, even if it's not agreeable and eventually you do make up. It's just too bad people never see you make up, but then if they did see that you may look more like the co-dependent couple...hahahaha