Thursday, May 12, 2005

Continuity

Someone at work keeps calling me Mrs. Maidy.

The first time I heard it, it sounded completely foreign...and this co-worker had to repeat it with emphasis two more times before I realized that I was being addressed (sorry Alex!).

When I'd finally realized they were talking to me, I wasn't sure how to respond. Should I be the happy, bubbly, my life is complete kind of newly-wed? Or should I try to make the single and in their 30's women at the office not so 'single' with a sarcastic response? Or better yet, should I not react?

"Mrs. Maidy!" the co-worker calls again.
My eye brows automatically knit the 'angry brow' shape, and I turn in my chair to face them and reply, "I'M STILL TAYLOR!"...then go back to my spreadsheet in my happy-land.

I'm sure I will get used to being called Mrs. Maidy (come on! It's just bound to happen), but I think my reaction today was more a reaction to an annoying co-worker.

Also, if one more person asks me, "so do you feel married?" I'm going to ask them, "Do you feel like being punched in the head?"

There is so much pressure to appear still excited, and giddy, and dorkish! I'm beginning to wonder if this is a pre-requisite for a newly wed. Dang!

I'm happy and at peace...I married the man I love, so leave me alone and talk to me about lazy clients, bad hair days, and quark files again...PLEASE.

1 comment:

QueenWanydala said...

i think people expect newlyweds to act all giddy. my response to that question was, "i don't feel any different with jae today then i did last week.
it feels strange to call jae my husband, but maybe our reaction has to do with our parents' sentiments towards each other and we are the odd ones!
but I'd say marriage is alright. it's nice to know you will never sleep alone, so maybe it's the secure, settling notion that makes us happy."
But some people were shocked to learn that marriage does not equal happiness.