Monday, May 16, 2005

The Swedish Chef

French toast is hard to make - especially if you're Alexander Maidy.

Sunday morning, I got a craving for french toast. I would have made them myself, but Alex jumped in and said he'd do it. I asked him if he knew how...he said he'd look it up on the net. This is when I should have known it would end up being traumatic.

A few minutes later, Alex walked into the kitchen with a piece of paper and started taking out the bowls and things he needed. A minute later I hear, "Damn it!" He'd dropped an egg on the floor (we'd just had the kitchen treated for ants and he dropped a raw egg on the floor! Argh!). I ask if he needs help. "No!" was his stern reply.

A few more minutes later, I hear the whisk going, and milk being put back in the fridge. Everything sounds like he has things under control. Then I hear a string of curses (which I will not repeat) coming from his mouth at the top of his lungs. I think about whether or not I want to enter the kitchen and see what has taken place. While I'm thinking about this on the couch, he says, "Don't come in here...just leave me alone!" Leave him alone? What had I done to him??? Now I want to go and see what's taken place in the kitchen cause a) I'm upset he's yelling at me, and b) I'm frightened because he's yelling.

I go and check out the scene. The bowl in upside down, a pale yellow liquid mixture is all over the floor by the sink. The whisk is on the floor next to the bowl. And Alex is trying to grab up the mixture with a paper towel. I begin to think about the egg mixture on the floor, the ants, the hours of disinfecting, how we're running out of paper towels...etc.

His face turns red when he sees my reaction to the scene and he screams, "just get out of here and leave me alone!"

Newt comes in to investigate as all cats do at the most inopportune time. He gets some on his front paw. Alex picks him up and shoves him the other way.

I walk away from the scene knowing I'll have to go back and clean the area again....because Alex does the 'visual' clean cleaning, which means if you can't see it, then it's clean. The only comment I make before walking away from the scene is for him to use the antibacterial wipes.

40 minutes later, he's on his last piece of french toast on the pan. He's calmer now, and I walk up to him and smile. I put my arms around him and he smiles back.

"Thank you for making the french toast." It was really good too.

1 comment:

QueenWanydala said...

Recipie for french toast? (shaking of head and a Chloe sigh)
Try them with either banana or apple slices and experiment with different types of bread...usually the uncut loaves are awesome and cut them thick, let it soak in the egg wash for awhile, you could add a little vanilla extract in the eggs too and mix...just come over next time.